top of page

DataWeave scripts to clean your XML/HTML code snippets for a WordPress blog post



 

In this post:

 


In case you're not familiar with my dataweave-scripts GitHub repo, it's the place where I keep some of the scripts I've created to help the community with transformation questions or simply some scripts that have been handy to me.


In this post, I want to introduce you to two transformations I added because of a use case I came up with last week. Basically to help clean an XML or HTML to publish a script in a WordPress article.



The problem


This problem started because I had written a blog post in a WordPress-based blog. I was sharing a Maven snippet (XML format). The issue is that WordPress mistook the XML tags as HTML code. So, instead of having a regular XML snippet, the article was showing something like this:



The fix was simple. Instead of having the regular < and > characters pasted in the code snippet, I had to use &lt; and &gt; respectively.


(Thanks so much Julian Duque for providing the fix! I had no idea about this issue in WordPress 🤗)


For example, instead of writing <plugin>, I had to replace it with &lt;plugin&gt;


I thought to myself: If I need to keep doing this for future blog posts, maybe I can create a DataWeave transformation to fix this for me so I can just easily copy and paste the new clean snippet.


These are the two approaches I came up with.



First approach: XML input


The first thing I tried to do since I was using an XML format for the script, was to take an input XML format, transform it to a String, and then clean the text. This is the script I came up with:


%dw 2.0
output text/plain
---
write(payload,"application/xml") 
replace "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>\n" with ""
replace "<" with "&lt;"
replace ">" with "&gt;"

However, I quickly ran into issues when I tried to clean an HTML code snippet using this same transformation. This is how I came up with the second approach.



Second approach: plain text input


This time I decided to use a plain text input instead of an XML input format. This way, both XML and HTML code snippets could be used as the input and I wouldn't need to use the write() function in the first place.


%dw 2.0
output text/plain
---
payload
replace "<" with "&lt;"
replace ">" with "&gt;"

Plus, I got rid of one replace() because I no longer needed to remove the XML header.


 

It's a short post, but I hope it's insightful for you all 🤗 I'm sure I'll keep using this example in the Playground to modify my WordPress posts in the future.


Let me know if you've faced similar issues with WordPress before!



367 views0 comments

Коментарі


bottom of page